Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Family Matters! We have opportunities in a variety of areas and commitment levels, many of which are listed below. Volunteers are an integral part of Family Matters, and many of our programs could not be possible without them.
Ready to volunteer? Please fill out a Volunteer Inquiry Form and someone will be in touch shortly.
- Tutor-Mentors are matched in a one-on-one relationship with students in grades K-12. Tutor-mentors receive an orientation and participate in ongoing training, teambuilding and support activities. During the academic year, tutor-mentors meet with students once a week (Monday through Thursday) for 90-minutes in the evening (between 6:45 and 8:15 PM).
- Literacy Coaches work individually with students in grades K-6 once or twice a week after school (between 3:30 and 6:30 PM) for 45-minutes each session.
- Workshop Leaders or Guest Speakers are needed to share skills in a wide range of areas – including the arts, personal growth, health & wellness, business, and college/career development. This could be during a one-time visit or on an on-going basis through Friday afternoon Learning Labs for children in grades K-6.
- Transition Coaches (for children moving from 8th grade to high school and from high school to college) meet with students weekly to guide them through the high school and college application process. Coaches support students in completing application packets, researching financial aid and scholarship opportunities, developing essays, and conducting match-fit/school selection processes, among other tasks by the specified due dates.
- Annual Walk-A-Thon and Gala Volunteers and Committee Members support the organization’s critical fundraising events. Opportunities include: committee participation, planning, soliciting financial support through corporate sponsorships, donating auction items/experiences, and attendance at the events. Groups can support the event by organizing a team for the walk-a-thon or purchasing a table at the Gala.
- Graphic Design Services are regularly needed for event invitations, notices, flyers, brochures, etc. Time commitment could range from assisting with one event or campaign’s theme and logo to designing the entire set of materials for an event or campaign.
- Social Media Ambassadors assist in collecting and sharing stories from Family Matters through writing, video, or other media outlets.
- Grant Development – Support Family Matters by researching and positioning grants.
- Administration Office volunteers assist the Admistrative Director once or twice a week, during the day, completing tasks such as assisting staff with mailings, data entry, and filing.
- Building Projects – We welcome groups who would like to participate in targeted projects (g., building cleanup/organization efforts, garden work, or painting). These events generally take place in the form of a service day devoted to the group (company, school, etc.) providing the support.
- IT Networking – Provide onagoing, occasional IT networking/engineering consultation by phone or onsite over a cup of tea or coffee with Family Matters’ IT Manager.
Note: With the exception of Evening Tutoring volunteers who commit a year or more to students, individuals can volunteer at Family Matters on a one-time basis or in an ongoing capacity.